In this episode you'll hear:
- The birth of Jen's blog.
- Jen's viral blog post story, how she capitalized the traffic and converted over 700,000 fans.
- The large role Jen's husband played in the process of developing her blog and sustaining her writing.
- How and why Jen protects her children's identity online.
- Jen's biggest challenges in motherhood and running her business.
- The lens that Jen filters her business through - especially as technology and trends change.
- The constants in Jen's business and where her brand is going moving forward.
- How Jen's husband helps in their business and where she goes to when she needs to find inspiration for essays.
- Why Jen keeps a treadmill in her office.
- The healing power of a good cry.
- The big book vs movie debate, what Jen thinks of every movie that was a book first and why books that are made into movies make her cry.
- Jen's book writing process and her journey from self publishing to traditional publishing.
- The ups and downs of working with a traditional publishing house.
- How self published authors can get their books in libraries.
Recommended resources and links:
- Jen's blog post that started it all: Over Achieving Elf on the Shelf Mommies
- Dane Cook talks about crying
- Movies to induce crying: The Notebook and PS I Love You
- Books Jen is reading: Furiously Happy, She's Not There
- Books Dana recommends: Bitter With Baggage Seeks Same: The Life and Times of Some Chickens
Can I quote you on that?
- I would write and vent on my blog, and then feel better about my day. -Jen
- I am a good mom, my kids are happy and healthy and I do some magic, but I don't do crazy magic. - Jen
- It's not enough that I run a business full time and am a mom. I ran the PTO too, because I'm crazy. -Jen
- It was just one mom sharing it to another mom. That's how I went viral. - Jen
- This is looking like it could actually be a thing. - Jen
- It's a matter of seizing the opportunity. Strike while the iron is hot. -Jen
- My kids are 9 and 11. I sleep and everyone wipes their own butts. It's great. - Jen
- I think it is always going to be a challenge to find time to do my work and be with my kids and husband. -Jen
- You can't get complacent. You're always looking for a new way to grow your business. -Jen
- Find out what your stress reliever is and make time for that thing. - Jen
- Whatever book you're looking for, a librarian has a book list. - Jen
- I love it when my readers tell me where they've seen my books. - Jen
Connect with Jen Mann:
Spending the Holidays With People I Want to Punch In The Throat
3 Things Making Her Happy
- Mouse Traps- I'm in the middle of a mouse infestation and it is freaking me out. Follow the saga on my Facebook page.
- Her book is doing really well.
- Her family. If my family doesn't make me happy, I don't know what would.
Amazon / Barnes & Noble / iTunes
- I Just Want Want to Pee Alone
- I Just Want to Be Alone
- I Still Just Want to Pee Alone
Connect with Dana:
3 Things Making Her Happy